Michaela, from the charming and very well-written Blog Love Letters to Old Hollywood, nominated me for a Liebster Award! I am beyond flattered! (A Liebster Award is a peer award for bloggers by bloggers. Which is pretty awesome!)
There are a few rules:
- Answer my nominator’s 11 questions
- Nominate 11 additional bloggers
- Ask 11 questions to my nominees
- Share 11 additional facts
My nominator Michaela asked me 11 questions my answers are in Italics:
- Who is your second favorite actor/actress, and why? Maggie Smith is wonderful in every performance. Her facial expressions are amazing, particularly as Charlotte Bartlett in A Room With A View but I love everything she does. She is second place to the one and only Judy Garland.
- Favorite on-screen duo? The Nicholas Brothers, they were amazing dancers, and self-taught! I really wish they took center stage in a film, rather than being super-awesome featured extras.
- Which actor/actress/director/etc. do you wish wrote an autobiography? I would rather have production diaries, my interest lies more in the product than the producer, but I would be very happy if Shakespeare wrote an autobiography.
- If you had the money, what film-related item would you buy in an instant? Memorabilia, a theater, old costumes…? Anything Ray Harryhausen worked on.
- What is your personal favorite flick from 1939? The Wizard of Oz, no contest there!
- Splashy 1950’s musicals or gritty 1940’s film noir? Film Noir! But if I had to live in one, I would take the musical.
- Is there a director you wish got more attention, during their time and/or today? Don Richardson, the author of Acting Without Agony: An Alternative to the Method, he worked in television during the 60s and 70s, his book was pretty innovative during the method-crazed 70s, but he did not receive a lot of attention during his lifetime. He had a fairly simplistic approach to acting think-feel-do.
- Who do you think was Fred Astaire’s best partner? Ginger Rogers is the reason I started tap dance. She was amazing! She was such a professional, there were times when she danced with soaking wet shoes direct from the dye vat, her feet were completely destroyed, but you would never know it.
- If you were allowed only one movie-related book, what would it be? I’ll take Image Music Text by Roland Barthes, I really like this book and I am fairly certain I could still function as an academic.
- Favorite Disney film? (I’ll include Pixar.) I love Disney movies, but my favorite is The Parent Trap with Hayley Mills, Maureen O’Hara, and Brian Keith!
- Is there a movie you’re ashamed to admit you hate/love? Actually, I am proud of my taste, it says a lot about who I am. I get a lot of eye rolls and groans when I say I liked Bewitched with Will Ferrell and Nicole Kidman. I have no idea why, I think it is a darling movie.
To pay the kindness forward, I nominate 11 additional bloggers, to my nominees, please know you were not randomly selected, this is why I have taken so long to post my nominations.
So the nominees are:
- Cinephilia by AutumnMist10 http://iamcineaste.wordpress.com/
- Pop Culture Reverie by Robin Franson Pruter https://popculturereverie.wordpress.com/
- Goose Pimply All Over by Tonya https://goosepimplyallover.wordpress.com/
- Girls Do Film by Miss V https://girlsdofilm.wordpress.com/
- The Motion Pictures by Lindsey http://themotionpictures.net
- Silver Screenings by 925screenings http://silverscreenings.org
- Twenty Four Frames by John Greco https://twentyfourframes.wordpress.com/
- Moon in Gemini by Debbie https://debravega.wordpress.com
- Sister Celluloid by Janet http://sistercelluloid.com/
- Movie Movie Blog Blog by Steve Bailey https://moviemovieblogblog.wordpress.com
- Vienna’s Classic Hollywood by Vienna https://dancinglady39.wordpress.com/
But in turn, I must ask 11 questions of my nominees:
- What movie have you seen more times than necessary?
- What movie scared you?
- What do you wish they would adapt or re-adapt to cinema?
- Are there any forthcoming films or TV shows you are excited about?
- What are your favorite Shakespeare-ish films (Derivative work)?
- What’s your favorite movie about show business?
- What’s your favorite documentary?
- What’s your favorite movie score?
- Why did you start blogging?
- What do you think is the nicest thing you’ve discovered about blogging?
- What are your other interests?
And I must share 11 things about myself, in the sake of fairness, I will answer my own questions.
- What movie have you seen more times than necessary? Practical Magic! It’s always on TV and I always get sucked in. I don’t know why, I know I would love to live in that town, except for the small mindedness.
- What movie scared you? When I was little I saw Poltergeist II, the old man that was after Carol Ann was creepy, I still get freaked out by Amish men’s hats.
- What book do you wish they would adapt or re-adapt to cinema? Oh why did I pick such a hard question, I predominantly read classic British literature, so the BBC had me at hello. I would like to see Waiting for Godot (which is technically a play) with Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart.
- Are there any forthcoming films or TV shows you are excited about? I cannot wait for Season 4 of Sherlock!
- What are your favorite Shakespeare-ish films? My favorites are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead and Kiss Me Kate
- What’s your favorite movie about show business? Singin’ in the Rain.
- What’s your favorite documentary? I found Grey Gardens incredibly mesmerizing, for some odd reason it stuck with me for a long time, I need to see it again.
- What’s your favorite movie score? I love the music Joe Hisaishi composed for Spirited Away.
- Why did you start blogging? I was in a creative rut, I knew I needed to start writing, and I felt having a fun official project to commit to would force me to out of my writer’s block. It’s working wonders.
- What do you think is the best thing you’ve discovered about blogging? I loved the variety of perspectives that I have encountered from other bloggers, I can read multiple posts on the same film, but I find each separate post engaging and interesting.
- What are your other interests? I occasionally sing with blues/rock bands, I love all kind of music, I like to bake and throw tea parties, I am crafty, I dance, I like to sew, I swear I would win Cupcake Wars and Project Runway.
To those I nominated, please pat yourself on the back you have done a marvelous job keeping me entertained in your own unique voice!
To Michaela, thank you again for the nomination, you gave me much to think about!
Readers make sure you check out her blog Love Letters to Old Hollywood!
Until next time my darlings!
-Summer Reeves | serendipitousanachronisms.wordpress.com | @kitschmeonce